Monday, February 04, 2008

ThePeach Attempts to Sound Intelligent; Insults Indians and Mother

So, I’m graduating for the second time at the end of this term. I saved all of my hard courses for last, which means that I’m taking a bunch of fourth year English Lit seminars right now. Maybe this sounds hellish to you. Maybe you’re right. Maybe I want to drop out of school with just 3 credits left to graduate. Maybe I want a lot of things. Like a puppy. Or to look hot in skinny jeans. But sometimes god gives you child-rearing hips, my friends. And you just can’t change that.

A large component of my grade in each course is comprised of class-participation. This means I have to say intelligent things from time to time in order to boost my mark. Can you guess how well that goes for me?

A shining example of my eloquence occurred last Thursday in my Native Canadian Literature class. We were discussing a novel called “Half-breed”, which is a biography of a Metis woman who overcomes hardships blah blah stereotypical hooker whine drugs blah. I think my first problem is that I signed up for a course where the possibility to insult a culture is readily available, and as a white woman I already represent the oppressor, but I digress. Our professor asked us what significance the picture on the cover of the novel held, and I thought I would offer my opinion.

Here is how it went in my mind:

Prof: What is the significance of the picture on the cover of “Half-breed”?
ThePeach: I believe the cover is intended to bring our own stereotypes into awareness and force us to deconstruct them. The woman on the cover of the novel is the author of the book, and her image gives a face to struggling Metis women. Her face humanizes our perception of the stereotypical “prostitute” and “drug-addict”, forcing us to confront our own biases. The woman on the cover could be anyone – she looks “normal”. She could be a Caucasian, middle-class house-wife for all we know. She could be anyone’s mother. Her face is the face of all Canadians but also the face of one Canadian who has lived a stereotypical “Native” existence. It is disarming and beautiful all at once.
Class: *applauds and cheers*
Prof: *wipes tear from eye*
ThePeach: *guns fist into air* YEAH!!

Here is how it actually went:

Prof: What is the significance of the picture on the cover of “Half-breed”?
ThePeach: I believe the cover is intended to bring our stereotypes into awareness and force us to deconstruct them. This chick doesn’t look Native. This chick doesn’t look like a hooker. This chick looks like my Mom.
Class: *awkward silence*
Prof: *awkward silence*
ThePeach: *guns fist into air* YEAH!!

I think I just earned myself an “A”.

ThePeach

2 comments:

thepilot said...

She DOES kinda look like your mom, actually. Minus the oppression.

The Peach said...

But with the hooker'ing. Probably.