Monday, January 12, 2009

Another note on professionalism

We are supposed to embody professionalism in Journalism. Act like professionals. Act mature. Be politically correct. Pay attention. Mind your public image. Bathe. Don't go on a meth trip and kill a hooker. That sort of thing.

I obviously struggle with professionalism, but I give it the old college try. All my hookers are still breathing, for instance. Baby steps.

My classmates are fairly professional and impressive, except for when we do things like have parties and drink out of a communal bucket and force people to chug a tin pot full of margarita mix and gin, and that person throws up ON MY LEGS, MORTAL COMBAT! ON MY FUCKING LEGS! But that kind of thing rarely happens, other than on Fridays.

We get graded on our professional conduct in each class. You have to attend, pay attention, and look and sound smart. For the most part we do this well.

But sometimes we crack. "Low hanging fruit" is one such example.

We have a reporting methods class from 8:30-11:30 on Monday mornings. I'm usually mentally checked out by 10, but I think I hide it well by brushing my hair into my face, sliding low in my chair, and gripping my coffee cup with an iron fist. Anyway, the class is taught by two...how to say...flamboyant man-types. They may or may not be a couple...further investigation is required on this matter.

Their favourite saying is "low hanging fruit." They have said it at least 5 times so far between our 2 classes. As in, "finding a piece of information this easily is like picking a piece of low hanging fruit," or "that report is your low hanging fruit."

Maybe I'm just twelve, but everytime one of the flamboyant man-types utters that phrase, I can't help but smirk.

Heh. Balls.

I thought I was the only one, but today I caught HotMess smirking, too. And then MortalCombat laughed under her breath when I gave her a meaningful look.

Heh. Balls.

So, as were being graded on professionalism, many of us are actually laughing about balls. That's reassuring to know, actually. We're still human. And, like most humans, we find balls hilarious.

Heh. Balls.

ThePeach

6 comments:

weeone said...

that is a great picture of some low hanging fruit :)

Meg said...

On your pants?! Ah, that sucks. It happened to me this summer in Hull, and it's one of those things you just can't forget...

On the topic of low hanging fruit (heh, balls), have you seen the part in the text about tilling virgin turf? (giggle).

The Science Manly said...

I saw you giggling and laughing every time they said "low hanging fruit." For those who don;t understand, it really is that funny!

Seriously, I was laughing too ... hehehe, balls.

Sexual innuendo's are EVERYWHERE if you just know where to look and have a slightly perverse mind.

And, if you are reading Peach's blog, you DO!

Erika said...

I giggled about the virgin turf.

Also, I noticed that you laughed at "small words are gay" too. Thank you, I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Claire said...

I remember being at that retreat thing in Gatineau the week before classes started and being So. Relieved. that I wasn't the only one who thought the fact the undergrad journalism degree was called a BJ. was hilarious.

Professionalism is a sham.

Workahol said...

We ALWAYS use that expression that work. I won't be able to say it with a straight face anymore.