Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Maybe the best thing ever; at least it wasn't Milo

I was on my way to night class yesterday and I had just stepped out of the elevator in my lobby.

A blonde girl about my age was checking her mail, and she had a teeny little poufy dog with her, approximately the size of my foot. Before I could say anything, and before she could look up, he trotted happily into the now empty elevator.

“YOUR DOG!” I shouted as the doors closed behind him.

“WHAT??!!” she screamed, looking around frantically as I pushed the button.

Then the elevator started going back up.

Second floor, third floor…

“Um, your dog is in that elevator.”

“OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!!”

We pressed all the buttons. Spaz walked out of the elevator on the far left.

“What’s going on??”

“Her dog is in that elevator! Alone!”

Fourth floor, fifth floor…

“OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!”

Spaz and I started giggling. We couldn’t help it. We kept pressing the buttons.

Sixth floor, Seventh floor. Stop.

“OH MY GOD, WHAT IF HE GETS OUT??!”

She started sprinting toward the stairs.

“Wait!” Spaz said, pointing at the elevator.

Sixth floor, fifth floor, fourth floor…

Spaz and I are now falling into each other with suppressed laughter. The girl is wringing her wrists and pressing the button.

Third floor, second floor, ground floor…

“OH FUCK, WHAT IF IT GOES TO THE FUCKING BASEMENT??”

And then the doors opened. The teeny dog was sitting demurely in the middle of the elevator, perfectly calm.

Spaz and I screamed with laughter.

The dog trotted back out, his tail wagging.

“OH, THANK GOD!!”

MC came out of the stairwell at that moment and looked at us like we were lepers.

“What are you DOING??”

I gestured to the teeny dog.

“He had a little adventure.”

And then we went to class.

End scene.

ThePeach

1 comment:

quackattack said...

OH MY GOD - This totally almost happened to me last week!!! I usually take George's leash off in the elevator before we get to our floor ... he often runs down the hallway to where he thinks my friend and her dog live (they're actually on another storey, but what does my dog know?) ... aaanyway, I turned around and didn't see him, then I saw the elevator door slowly close and I started yelling "GEORGE!!! OH MY GOD, GEORGE!!!" at the top of my lungs (keep in mind this is 11 pm). Turns out he was standing right below me ... it didn't occur to me to look down. Duh.