Thursday, March 10, 2011

ThePeach is a good ambassador

We had an important guest speaker at work this week.

He was kind of a big deal, from a fairly major company, and our company was very excited to have him with us for a few days. We flew him in from Miami. He was Cuban, mid-30s, and wore expensive suits. He was to give us training sessions on topics of great importance.

I’m not sure who decided I should be in charge of his welfare. That was a mistake. But somehow, the big important guest speaker was left in the responsibilities of…ThePeach.

My job was simple enough. For the two days he was with us, I was in charge of his leavings. Help him find his coat. Help him clean up after his training. Get him through security. Get him a cab. Simple enough.

Day 1 went fine. I was a pro.

Here’s how Day 2 went.

After his session, he peeked his head into my office and said he was ready to go. I helped him clean up. I helped him find his coat. I got him through security. I called him a cab.

When it was time to say goodbye, he leaned in. He leaned in.

I was not expecting this.

So I did what any professional would do and gave him a giant hug.

“Ok! Great to meet you! Safe trip!” I said, still hugging the big shot presenter in the Armani suit. I patted his back jovially.

He pulled away and looked at me with horror. His eyes bulged and he shook his head back and forth, repeatedly.

“No, no. No, no.” he said, stepping backwards.

“I’m Cuban. In Latin culture we cheek-kiss when we say goodbye.” He pointed at his cheek, slowly, to make sure I understood.

He was going for the cheek-kiss.

And I gave him a giant bear hug, complete with back-pats.

I hugged our guest speaker. This will always be his final impression of our company – the awkward chick who hugged him in the lobby, beside the security guard.

I’m really not cut out for the corporate world.

ThePeach

20 comments:

lifeisducky said...

I like this. I will drink a bottle of wine tonight, in your honour.

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH YOU HUGGED HIM!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

thepilot said...

That sounds like my every romantic encounter! Cheers to being awkward :)

Cleavage said...

Maybe someone noticed how the ethnics in the cafeteria love you, and decided that the cuban/american was right up your alley?
/racism...

Anonymous said...

so he thought kissing him was less intimate than hugging? Weird.

Anonymous said...

The Vibram Five Fingers Shoes is famous for its Fivefinger design. The five separated toes can move individually and flexibly, will make user feel soft. Comfortable.

Cerky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cerky said...

.... why the fuck

would anyone want those shoes


what is this I don't even

Anonymous said...

Start blogging again! Or I will personally add annoying irony to your life to give you material...

the other gay said...

http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science/news/glowing-cat-new-tool-in-aids-research-1.1135539

voip services said...

your blog is nice and i really enjoy here.

Anonymous said...

Even though you don't post anymore.. I still check every day.. and get a slight placebo effect when I see someone's made a comment.



Then I realise it's spam.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE come back!

yh said...

sac burberry
sac chanel
chaussures nike
porte cles chanel
bracelet louis vuitton
chaussures puma
portefeuille louis vuitton
chaussures louis vuitton
tee-shirts louis vuitton
louis vuitton pas cher
sac juicy
sac louis vuitton 2012
louis vuitton soldes
chaussures jordan hommes
chaussures nike air max hommes
chaussures gucci femmes
chaussures christian louboutin femmes

Samantha Blondel said...

LOL LOL! Cuban dude was playing smart!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.vuittonhandbags2u.com/#louisvuittonhandbags]louis vuitton handbags[/url], I recieved all these louis vuitton with respect to christmas day in 2009 in addition to really like them all! i have forever worn out most of these while it's raining and simply not discolor (even without the spew) i have many comments at school. moves excellent having moisture not to mention slender jeans/jegigngs! Regarding holiday season instant messaging having a different two! i will thus recomend your is certainly everybody!
um,..... They're LIKE THE BEST louis vuitton Have you ever! i enjoy these ebony styles! some people are definitely not too elaborate cheated the proper level of come!
louis vuitton Objet conforme à cette portrait.
i need my louis vuitton
Excellent any time you plan to get one thing for without having who "full [url=http://higts.overblog.com/]louis vuitton handbags[/url]" affect!
louis vuitton Perfect spend money on and additionally seriously worth money spent.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Peach!

I'd love to see an update and I miss your hilarious stories...

I'm sure all the planning for the upcoming has made for some good writing material

Luv you! K

Patryk But said...

Nice blog :) Don't stop! <3

online dramas said...

so nice blogger

online indian dramas said...

i like your blogger :)